5.17.2008

How We Met

People often ask me how we met. We have a unique story. We're not childhood sweethearts. We're not college friends. We didn't even live in the same state. When people ask, "Where did you meet?" I often answer with, "Well, we met in Florida". No, it wasn't on Spring Break. I get a puzzled look from the other person, because I'm a California girl. The place that brought us together is often known as the "Happiest Place on Earth"'s Florida cousin, Walt Disney World.

We met as interns for the College Program. I had traveled across the country to delay "the real world" after I graduated from college. He drove down south since he hadn't found a full time job after graduation. Little did we know that we would meet. We were placed in the Disney subsidized housing, in apartment across from each other. I was in 1801. He was in 1802. A couple of days after we moved into our respective "homes away from home" for the next four months, one of his roommates knocked on our door. At first, we were a little suspicious, since he was trying very hard to be smooth. Considering it was the first couple of days, and part of the point was to make new friends, we accepted his invitation.

The 10-second walk across the hall brought us (me and 3 roommates) to a carbon copy apartment. I happened to sit on the side of the couch closest to the door, next to a guy who was surfing the net. I met him, shook his hand, smiled, and chatted in idle conversation. We stayed for maybe two hours. He was an army brat, currently from Georgia, a recent graduate, and had been placed at Epcot in Parking Services. I told him a little about me and just hung out. After my roommates and I left, they all made a big deal about us talking. "Ooooh! You guys are going to get married and have babies!" I was totally incredulous thinking that all we did was talk. And we happened to talk because we were in closest proximity to each other.


Little did I know that it would be the start of the most precious and special friendship.

No comments: